Re: DSM: "Education"

From: Mary Rose Murrin (mmurrin@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 16:07:40 EST

First of all, for future reference, my first name is Mary Rose and don't really like to be called Mary without the Rose added- can abbreviate it as MR for short if it's too hard to type. Just letting people know now that you are calling me by name so often. Secondly, do you have first-hand knowledge that the children HAVEN'T operationally defined SVS as education? Thirdly, I see absolutely no reason whatever that education and freedom need to be considered mutually incompatible. Also, there are a lot of teaching methods that use free play as a technique to get children to learn- they have an agenda- to get children to process the thoughts and feelings that they have been exposed to in the lesson (Godly Play is a good example) so it is clearly education (well Godly Play is worship- but tell that to the priests and ministers who think it is Sunday School). If the the children don't perceive it as an agenda- they feel that it is freedom- is it any less education? Just some thoughts.

Mary Rose