Re: DSM: "Education"

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 14:06:47 EST

Hi Bill, Mary and others,

I would like to voice my agreement with what Bill wrote in this regard, especially with his last paragraph (his entire
message having been re-quoted below by me for ease of reference).

And in addition I would like to add something, namely that "education" and "freedom" have got to be defined as each
individual experiences them within himself or herself.

To give an analogy: a slave's definition of "freedom" will obviously be different from the slave-master's definition!
And if the slave-master has written the dictionary in which "freedom" is defined, the dictionary definition will also be
different from that of the slave's definition.

Yet no one can possibly doubt that it is each individual slave's definition that should really count: not that of the
slave-master, or even that of the dictionary written by the slave-master or by his cronies and sympathisers.

Indeed even the definition of "freedom" given by any individual slave may differ from that of "freedom" given by any
other slave. That's because freedom, to have any value, must be actually experienced, not merely intellectually
understood.

I use this "slave" analogy most advisedly: the majority of students in most schools in most of the world are little more
than slaves: having virtually no say in how they are treated.

If, therefore, a student -- or a group of students -- intellectually understand Sudbury Valley as "education", even
bolstering their arguments by quotations from dictionaries which wre written by adults -- that still does not make it
"education" ... unless of course it is, in which case, as I said earlier, Sudbury Valley ought to smarten up, and that
too, in a hurry!

Best,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>

[ORIGINAL MESSAGE FROM BILL]: