Re: DSM: "Education"

From: Sugmapl@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 13:32:38 EST

Dear Mary,

Thank you very much. You basically wrote that if the "proponents and
founders" of Sudbury believe it to be education then it would be
disrespectful to not agree.

The core understanding of Sudbury is that it allows as much respect and
freedom to children as possible given the norms of the Sudbury community. It
is also clearly a social and cultural institution in which children are full
partners. (Here I think it best to pause and consider if we even know of any
other social institution in which children are full partners.)

Now the people who actually spend their days at Sudbury are the staff and the
children. And as such the children comprise about 93% of the full partners in
this social institution. To me it is clear that the most profound definition
of Sudbury is as the children live it. Since they themselves basically decide
their own activities all day every day week after week month after month year
after year, the children have operationally defined Sudbury as freedom.
Indeed, the children are full partners even to the extent of defining the
institution.

And yes there is a paradigm shift between seeing Sudbury as freedom and
seeing it as education; they are not the same.

Best Regards,
Bill Richardson