Re: DSM: Sudbury Charter Schools

From: Sugmapl@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 00:47:49 EST

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your post.

My best understanding is that charter schools are funded by state
legislatures. In doing so these legislatures give up on everything associated
with education except results. They fund what they deem results. I believe
the application and review process would pretty much go as follows:

Do you ahve a curriculum?
-No
Well, what is your teaching method?
-We don't have one.
Would you be willing to pre-test the children?
-No
Would you be willing to post-test the children?
-No
Well, how do you plan to show results?
-We don't. If there are any results, they are completely owned by the
children themselves.
Well, that's not education.
-No it isn't, but it is a lot more useful to the child.

Warm Regards,
Bill Richardson