DSM: Re: Re: Sudbury Charter Schools

From: Mary Rose Murrin (mmurrin@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 08:16:24 EST

One point- the need for the school is because we live in a society that
condemns those who cannot fit into our educational system to a life of
poverty, substance abuse, mental illness, and early death. We, as a
society, deal with the handicapped that don't fit in. We, as a society,
design an educational system for the 'average' student that does not exist.
The tragedy is that this educational system weeds out the leaders and
innovators and condemns them to their own devices which usually is a living
or actual death.

The educational system defines gifted as those students who score above the
98th percentile on a standardized test of intellectual ability. It
recommends students to the gifted program and even testing for gifted, based
on the perceptions of teachers who are frustrated because so few of those
who achieve these scores on screenings "look" gifted to them- so they
recommend those who fit in well with their classes, which are the ones who
don't really need exceptional education. The screening underrepresents
minorities (the tests do also). Then the education provided does not meet
the needs of the 'gifted' as defined by the massive educational research on
the needs of the gifted- it meets the needs of the majority of the screened
class.

To me, the challenge is to stop the killing of our future leaders. All the
major leaders and innovators of the 20th century, were those who were able
to circumvent the public education system in some way. Churchill and Edison
lasted in school less than 2 months. Edison was told that he was mentally
retarded. Churchill's parents pulled him out due to his 'lack of fit'. The
wealthy don't have to educate their children in a system that kills them.
>From what I see, 'child-centered' learning works, homeschooling- especially
unschooling- works, and I suspect Sudbury works. These are not models for
public education. In fact, in Florida, home schoolers cannot use books
bought with public education money- even if they wanted to. And the books
that our educators purchase to educate our children are not available to
home schoolers through most of the publishers. So it becomes a haven for
those who make enough to keep one parent home and can afford textbooks. But
it does not prepare all our leaders to become leaders- just those from those
homes that can afford an education that doesn't destroy their leadership
ability. Scratch a person of leadership ability who was educated in the
public school system who has survived until the age of 50, and you'll find
someone who is in extreme emotional pain, working in a low-income job to
service the intellectual needs of less talented people from upper middle
class homes who are in professional positions.

I believe that this is no accident. Our society builds systems that keep
the separation between the wealthy and the poor, to encourage the separation
in income levels between the poor and the rich, and to weed out the
innovators so that only a few of the wealthy and privileged are fit to lead.
We have so few leaders fit to lead after generations of public schools and
the myth that private schools need to pattern themselves after the best of
the public education model, that we need to have homeschool and Sudbury
schools- but again in this society where we create differences between
people by treating everyone the same- these 'leader building' schools should
be unavailable to the poor and working poor. And for the most part, they
are- we build that into the system.

Saying that, I believe that Sudbury schools should be available- for free-
to any child who chooses in America. It is not predicated on building
schools for the gifted- but it is inspired by the tragedy of the fate of the
best of our future leaders.

Off the soap box.

Mary Rose