Re: DSM: Sudbury Charter Schools

From: Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 17:44:12 EST

There have been several attempts, I believe, to obtain charters in
various states for start-up schools following the sudbury model. There
may have been one here in Massachusetts, another in Minnesota, perhaps
others. None of these efforts have succeeded in obtaining charter
school status. That said, the issue is unique to the particular state
laws one has to deal with.

The Blue mountain School in oregon is publicly funded, but under a law
that precedes the charter school movement.

A quick glance at the Florida situation (as shown on the Center for
Education Reform web site) indicates that Florida might be more
receptive than many others. On the other hand, Florida does require
the following.
>Students in charter schools shall, at a minimum, participate in the
>statewide assessment program; and, as appropriate, the Florida
>Writes Assessment Test, the High School Competency Test, and
>other assessments administered. In secondary charter schools,
>a method for determining that a student has satisfied the
>requirements for graduation must be provided.

Incidentally, the "Sudbury principle of not accepting government
money" is a question of what might accompany such money. If such
funds were available in a manner that did not compromise the
philosophies of the school, I'm certain we'd have an interesting
debate.

Best of luck with your efforts.
Mike