DSM: Sudbury Charter Schools

From: Mary Rose Murrin (mmurrin@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 05:26:49 EST

Have been concerned about the fate of at-risk gifted children in the
American educational system for quite some time- ever since one of my son's
teachers told me that 33% of all gifted children quit school before
completing high school. In my search through the universe for educational
choices, the best option before me seemed to be the 'unschooling' approach,
which worked for me. This is also a good choice for all children who need
to shape their own futures. But it has always concerned me that this would
not work for younger children of single mothers who needed to work, and by
the time these children are old enough to be on their own while their
mothers worked, substantial damage has already been done- often resulting in
lifelong mental illness. The Sudbury model appears to be more viable for
upper middle class mothers, but I believe that a quality education should be
available to all people regardless of income. The charter school option
would then seem to be one way to get the Sudbury model established within
the public education system- because it allows independent choice of
educational approaches and teachers- even though this does violate the
Sudbury principle of not accepting government money, it does have the
advantage of making a Sudbury-model education available to the masses. Has
anyone out there tried to get the Sudbury model established within a charter
school framework? Is anyone interested in getting one started in
Hillsborough County Florida? If the answer to either of these questions is
"yes", please e-mail me privately at mmurrin@tampabay.rr.com

Mary Rose