Re: DSM: Re: TCS (Taking Children Seriously): Non-coercive Schools?

From: Mary Rose Murrin (mmurrin@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 04:41:50 EST

Sudbury, as I understand it, is based on democracy or majority rules.
TCS, as I understand it, is based on common preferences or the least
objectionable strategy.
These seem to be quite different. And so the approaches to resolving
conflicts are quite different.
What they have in common is the fact that they give children an equal voice
in their governance rather than simply expect children to "do what they are
told". This is radical within the context of our society and so is a
profound similarity.
Don't think either approach advocates the profound 'freedom' that Ardeshir
is looking for. But also think that SVS gives children the kind of freedom
that American society gives to its entitled adults which uniquely prepares
them to become entitled adults within our society. It does not prepare them
for a reality in which many adults are not entitled to the same rights and
privileges of other adults- so finding this in the real world may come as a
shock- but this is also something that must be changed and it is right that
people should be able to look at injustice and call it by the right name.

Mary Rose