DSM: Re: TCS (Taking Children Seriously): Non-coercive Schools?

From: Alan Klein (alan@Klein.Net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 21:47:28 EST

TCS (Taking Children Seriously): Non-coercive Schools?Ardeshir,

I have read the article and find it to be a wonderful example of splitting hairs to the point of absurdity.

>From a micro viewpoint, of course people in democratic schools might at one moment or another be doing something that they "do not want to do", such as serving a sentence imposed by a JC or working to fulfill the requirements to use the darkroom that the Photo Guild has created.

In a macro sense, however, this is a sham argument. Students are there because they want to be there. "Being there" entails following the rules set up by the School Meeting, of which each student and staff is an equal member. It is a complete package and one in which each member has a voice. My father is fond of noting that, "If you want to heat your house with wood, it makes little sense to complain while chopping it." The analogy, of course, is that if one wants to be part of a democratic school, then it makes little sense to complain about the very democracy that defines the school. If one does not want to be part of such a school, then leave. No fuss, no bother, and no coercion.

~Alan Klein