DSM: RE: TCS (Taking Children Seriously): Non-coercive Schools?

From: Alan or Laura Gabelsberg (argable@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 19:27:02 EST

This is interesting, I must say. Thank you for forwarding it for
discussion. Since I am now involved in building a budding Sudbury school,
my view is surely biased. I think the issue of whether a home can do the
job of educating is an issue that a lot of families who enter SVS-type
schools have probably already grappled with and answered for themselves in
favor of "the school" versus the home for their own reasons at that given
time. Sudbury recreates "the village" as much as it possibly can in our day
and age. It isn't a perfect system, but it's better than (most) of the
other schools I've ever seen or heard of in terms of coercion.

I like what TCS has to offer parents in terms of questioning the prevalent
coercive and entrenched parenting and educational thinking. It would be
wonderful if we all consistently exercised our full IQ's and EQ's (Emotional
Quotient) to be able to navigate around every problem without falling back
on coercion. I think Sudbury offers an environment where that kind of
creative thinking is more possible. It is not a perfect system. It is a
democracy. I think the human race in general is just not as highly evolved
as Deutsch expects it to be.

SVS as a model represents the evolution of schools as institutions,
progressing from a completely coercive system to the crawling stage of
democracy that SVS is. Beyond that maybe human beings can develop the
utopian school of Deutsch's argument and common preferences, (wouldn't that
be great!) but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

As for the practical ideas of offering kids the money instead of paying the
tuition, I think that is fine - but for the school to coerce that/demand
that from the parents is not right. It would have to come from within the
family structure itself - otherwise it would just be another instance where
the school is laying down the law. Also I agree that kids do need to be
given the right to decide if they want to subject themselves to the
structure of any place. If they agree to being there, then they generally
would prefer to abide by the rules to begin with - or - at least to comply
with the consequences for not preferring the rules.

Laura