DSM: Re: TCS (Taking Children Seriously): Non-coercive Schools?

From: Todd Robinson (todd@ClinicalSoftware.net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 18:22:21 EST

TCS (Taking Children Seriously): Non-coercive Schools?Ardeshir,

Joe has a great piece about TCS on his website (http://www.jazztbone.com/2000/2000_5_8.htm). There are also some great links in the DSM archives about democracy vs. conensus -- I'm sure Scott has those at his fingertips, because I know he's posted them before.

I also disagree that the claim "Whatever the time of day, and whatever their age, students in the [Sudbury Valley] school are all doing what they want to do." sounds hollow just because it is not literally true if looked at on a second-by-second or minute-by-minute basis. I think that it is clear (or becomes clear with just a little reading of the site) that the claim means students are free from most or all of the institutional restrictions traditionally imposed on children in schools.

Todd Robinson