DSM: let's start something big

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 15:33:48 EST

Hi Travis, and Jason,

That's a good point that Travis makes about not criticizing the beliefs of those you are trying to persuade. In trying to explain Sudbury schooling to my friends and family I have also noticed that this approach is pretty limited. Instead I try to focus on what is possible for my kids by going to this kind of school. It's a tricky balancing act. To talk about the damage possible from traditional education seems so much more convincing! I think it is useful, when possible, to pace where the person is at (show them you understand where they're coming from) and them to lead them to the new ideas.

This discussion may not be relevant to your "article", however. Again, it depends on who your audience is. I got the sense that you were talking to teenagers who probably are already leaning in your direction and are looking for some way out of their suffering. If this is the case, your approach can work, I think.

Ann