RE: DSM: Is Sudbury too democratic?

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 23:46:26 EST

:-)

As an alumnus... When I have had bosses in the past, I
don't think that I ever saw any of them as having "ultimate
authority." I think I saw them as persons with
responsibilities, and jobs to do; and that their authority
extended over a specific domain. And I think I saw myself
as a person who had made a deal -- I give them some time
working on some tasks, and they gave me some money.

I think that being used to managing one's own time and life
is indespensible in understanding and dealing with any sort
of give-and-take relationship -- including
employer/employee.

I think that it is a pretty dark view of most employers, to
think that an employee's relationship with one has to be
anything besides an arrangement between two equals. Yes,
the worker is obliging himself/herself to expend some labor;
but the employer is likewise in that context obliging
himself/herself to expend some capital.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org