Re: DSM: "The purpose for which [Sudbury] is formed ..."

From: BBWIA13@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 09:41:50 EST

Bruce,

    Well said my good man! To briefly reiterate, though. To all those
claiming curriculum at Sudbury, hidden or otherwise, here is the crux that
more then anything else I ask you to follow.
    EXPECTING STUDENTS TO ACT RESPONSIBLY IS NOT HIDDEN CURRICULUM! Indeed,
this is the basis for arguments issued by you people time and again. But this
is not reality!
    It is asking students not to brake rules. This is nothing like a
curriculum. Do you see the society at large acting as a curriculum? Well, it
isn't. And Sudbury schools seek to imitate, in the most basic outline, this
democratic society.
    If you propose some dumping ground for wild, unabashed freedom, with no
judgment taking place, (I speak specifically of rule braking at this point,
so do not claim I am in favor of any subtle application of basic knowledge)
fine. The only problem is, its not a school at that point, BY DICTIONARY
DEFINITION.
    And because of this fact, its not really a logical argument to have on
this list, because the argument, BY DEFINITION, is no longer an educational
one, it is an individualistic philosophical one.
    Why don't people who are making these kinds of arguments come out and say
it? Why hide behind the fraudulent cloak of "an educational argument?" These
arguments are not educational whatsoever!

-Travis W.