Re: DSM: "The purpose for which [Sudbury] is formed ..."

From: Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 15:47:41 EST

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:55:27 -0500, "Ardeshir Mehta, N.D."
<ardeshir@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>And it happens *all the time*: when a child simply wants to
>lay down and sit all day, or walk around all day, or do anything
>whatsoever which doesn't fit the current definition of *education*.

As much as I try to refrain from responding to this thread, I am
occasionally driven to do so.

Is it some unspecified *current definition of education* that causes
me to take issue with much of what you write in this thread?

Where has it been said that in the sudbury model education doesn't
occur under these circumstances? Many of think it does. Many of us
think that the child after such periods of *doing nothing* is
different than before, and that this constitutes the education we
speak of. But even if the child isn't *different,* if the child is
happy, I, as someone associated with the school will feel that the
school's purpose is satisfied. The parent may not be, but that is a
different issue.

And the child is welcome to pursue this *do nothing* personal agenda
within the school as long as s/he wants.
Hours/days/weeks/months/years. it is *only* the child who will
initiate any change in this agenda.

And just to be clear, since I can't imagine this behavior in anyone
capable of life in other than caretaker conditions, I want to exempt
pathological behavior. Should the child appear to staff as exhibiting
a pathology, I would expect that issue to be raised with the family.

Mike