Re: DSM: "The purpose for which [Sudbury] is formed ..."

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 13:29:03 EST

Hi David,

You wrote:

> What is "a genuine free school"?
> Actually you are looking for an Utopia.

No, I am looking for a place where freedom is given to
children for *freedom's sake alone*, just as in free countries
it is given to adults for the sake of freedom alone: and *not*
for the sake of any hoped-for or anticipated results -- or *any*
kind.

> It is so relatively simple: I think there is a *very big difference* between
> INDOCTRINATION and learning by IMITATION from a person you see as a MODEL OF
> CONDUCT. You cannot avoid being a model of conduct -- still you can act in a
> noncoercive way and leave the final choice to the "learner".

Why should kids be expected to *learn* anything at all? Are
adults expected to "learn" when freedom is given to them?
And if they don't learn the freedom might be taken away?
That's how dictators and authoritarian regimes have argued
their own case for centuries.

Just apply the same stanrds to children as you do to adults,
and you'll get what I am talking about.

> We used to have "an oppen account for the children" at the grocery store and
> my younger son used to eat a lot of candy and snatches (?).
> Today, at age 21, I couldn't say he is a regular eater, but he has reached,
> by his own, his own menu.

True enough, but even if my son ate a lot of candy at 21,
I'd still be okay with that.

Indeed if he *did not* eat a lot of candy at 21 when he actually
*wanted* to, I *wouldn't* be okay with that!

> "The child is not the mere creature of the State."

Nor is the child a mere creature of adults *outside* the State.

Best,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>