Re: DSM: "The purpose for which [Sudbury] is formed ..."

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 08:30:39 EST

  Was the government of Massachusetts formed "to secure the
existence of the body politic, [and] to protect it" or "to
furnish the individuals who compose it with ... their
natural rights?"
  Do Sudbury model schools exist in order to help people
develop in an environment of trust and caring, or do they
exist in order to establish freedom?
  Both of these groups are pluralistic. Both sets of goals
are held. Neither goal trumps the other, nor is either goal
compromised for the other when feasible.

  As a citizen of Massachusetts who is interested in
protecting these natural rights, I generally do not see the
broad aim of protecting the body politic as inconsistent
with our natural rights. Rather, when/if I see rights being
compromised I make a stink about that case of rights being
compromised -- rather than over the notion that most persons
and/or groups have more than one aim in life/existance.

  This back-and-forth argument over when/if the staff and/or
body politic in a Sudbury school could/would compromise the
students' freedom is more than pointless. Rather than
speaking in hypotheticals perhaps one of the persons arguing
would enlighten us by mentioning ONE instance of this
happening in a Sudbury school so it can be discussed?

  Damn it, my train of thought was broken and I lost count.
It's hard enough to keep the head of this pin steady, and
those angels move so fast!

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org
http://www.unseelie.org/
  A priest asked: What is Fate, Master?
  And the Master answered:
  It is that which gives a beast of burden its reason for
existence. It is that which men in former times had to bear
upon their backs.
  It is that which has caused nations to build byways from
City to City upon which carts and coaches pass, and
alongside which inns have come to be built to stave off
Hunger, Thirst and Weariness.
  And that is Fate?  said the priest.
  Fate... I thought you said Freight, responded the Master.
  That's all right, said the priest.  I wanted to know what
Freight was too.

-- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"