Re: DSM: "The purpose for which [Sudbury] is formed ..."

From: David Rovner (rovners@netvision.net.il)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 04:28:35 EST

What is "a genuine free school"?
Actually you are looking for an Utopia.

It is so relatively simple: I think there is a *very big difference* between
INDOCTRINATION and learning by IMITATION from a person you see as a MODEL OF
CONDUCT. You cannot avoid being a model of conduct -- still you can act in a
noncoercive way and leave the final choice to the "learner".

We used to have "an oppen account for the children" at the grocery store and
my younger son used to eat a lot of candy and snatches (?).
Today, at age 21, I couldn't say he is a regular eater, but he has reached,
by his own, his own menu.

"The child is not the mere creature of the State."

David Rovner - rovners@netvision.net.il
Favors ending government involvement in education,
working for the Advancement of Democratic Schools
& the Freedom of Learning, Individual Rights and Ayn
Rand's philosophy in Israel.
http://www.sepschool.org/cgi/RegDisp.cgi/global