RE: DSM: "The purpose for which [Sudbury] is formed ..."

From: Peter Shier (pshier@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 01:37:55 EST

But can we really offer freedom to our children? Can we truly not
intervene? I don't think so. We begin at a very young age when we teach
them to eat and drink, how to go to the bathroom, how to dress. As I
would guess is true of many Sudbury parents, I did not teach these
things to my children until they asked yet no matter how hard I may try,
I cannot get away from my agenda. For example, if your child was still
in diapers at age 8 or 9, would you have the same attitude about toilet
training? I doubt it. Even the most enlightened parent would have
intervened with their own agenda long before then 'for the sake of the
child'. The same might be said about some fundamental academic skills at
much later ages.

In the Sudbury model adults intervene all the time. The behavior of the
Sudbury staff constantly transmits an agenda to the student i.e. 'this
is how functional adults behave in our society'. The adults in the
Sudbury model actually have no more or less of an agenda than those in a
traditional school framework with a documented curriculum, it is just
transmitted in a very subtle and different way.

Peter