Re: DSM: "The purpose for which [Sudbury] is formed ..."

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 00:15:51 EST

Hi Liz,

You wrote:

> ... How do you measure whether
> the staff are without hope, dreams or anticipation? I would be very curious
> as I have yet to meet such a person, all the people I know are full of hope,
> dreams and anticipation. I can't help wondering if I would want such a
> person around my children, particularly if all the adults were of this type.

I get your point: You *as a parent*, anticipate that your children
will in some way improve, become in some respects better, during
their stay at a free school. If they didn't, you might pull your chil-
dren out of that school, and send them to one that *isn't* free!

That's because *you* have hopes for *them*.

But consider this: What's more important *to them* (and *not* to
*you*)? Is improvement more important, or is freedom more im-
portant?

And what gift would you rather give, as their parent, to your chil-
dren: the gift of what's important for *them*, or the gift of what's
important for *you*?

When the question is put in this way, I think there can be only one
answer!

In this context I am reminded of Kahlil Gibran's famous poem, "On
Children" (from his book *The Prophet*), and which I think bears
repeating here:

[QUOTE]

     Your children are not your children.
     They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
     They come through you but not from you,
     And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

     You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
     For they have their own thoughts.
     You may house their bodies but not their souls,
     For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
     which you cannot visit, not even in you dreams.
     You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
     For life goes not backward not tarries with yesterday.

     You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
     The Archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
     and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
     Let our bending in the Archer's hand be for gladness;
     For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

[END QUOTE]

The "stable bow" is you and I, the parents, who should trust the
Archer, having faith that He knows best where and how the arrows
-- i.e., our children -- should go! "Let our bending in the Archer's
hand be for gladness", for it is only He -- and not we, nor any of
the staff at any kind of school, free or un-free -- who can "see the
mark upon the path of the infinite".

Blessings,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>.