DSM: Freedom Vs. Education

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 15:12:12 EST

Hi Mary Rose,

Thank you for the clarification of the meanings of the words
"Education" and "Freedom".

But consider this: Does not the word "education" imply that there
is also state of being "uneducated"? (In this I include *all* possible
definitions of "education", not even excluding the ones you gave.)

Now is it permissible in Sudbury for a child to want to remain
*uneducated*, even during his/her entire stay there, from age four
(or six, or whatever age Sudbury admits students) till age sixteen
(or eighteen, or whatever, when most of them graduate)?

If the answer is "No", then Sudbury is *not* a school that offers
freedom -- the freedom *to be and to remain uneducated*.

And for the word "freedom" we can use definition No. 5 of the ones
you gave: "The capacity to exercise choice; free will: We have the
freedom to do as we please all afternoon." (Indeed, why only "all
afternoon"? Why not all one's life?)

And if the answer to the above question is "Yes", then as regards
that particular student, Sudbury will have failed in its goal -- *if*
its goal is education (under *any* definition whatsoever)!

And what if *all* its students want to remain uneducated? If
Sudbury permits that, then it will have failed entirely and utterly
and most miserably ... *if its goal is education*.

But if its goal is *freedom*, then it will have succeeded laudably
and magnificently!

Now I want to ask: what does Sudbury *want* to do? Succeed in
*educating* its students, or succeed in giving *freedom* to its
students *even at the cost of _not_ educating them*?

If the latter, it is surely greatly to be admired; if the former, then
just as surely, greatly to be pitied!

Best wishes,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>.