DSM: "Because right is right, to follow right / Were wisdom in the scorn of consequence"

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 17:41:47 EST

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your insight.

You wrote:

> The child arrives at the school house door, in the morning, at Sudbury, with
> no hopes or anticipations or dreams in their heart that we, the parents and
> staff and founders, will someday and somehow become "productive members
> of the larger community".

Exactly. Why should the staff expect of the students that which the
students are not required to expect of the staff?

> The work, our work, is to greet them as they have arrived, without hope or
> dreams or anticipations in our hearts.
>
> (This, by the way, is why this work is largely about loss)

Well, here, as the architect Mies van der Rohe eloquently expressed it,
"Less is more"!

But more to the point, loss or gain are not the issue. The issue is doing
what's right; and giving freedom to *all* persons, *including* children
(*and* to the staff, even to the extent of letting them offer unsolicited
help or advice!) should be done simply because it's the *right thing to do*.

"Because right is right, to follow right / Were wisdom in the scorn of
consequence" -- *that* should be the reason: not the attainment of
gain or the prevention of loss.

Best,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>