DSM: scientific tidbit

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 17:28:33 EST

I don't know where I stand on this issue of whether there are goals for our children at SVS- whether it should be for learning or just a place to be free. For those that think they might want learning to occur, here is something that might interest you.

Anyone watch Scientific American Frontiers on PBS? I always find it fascinating. Last night they had a segment debunking the old theory that we stop growing new brain neurons after a certain age. They have discovered that mice who have a more active and interesting "life" ( a cage with active things to do vs. a standard cage with nothing to do) grew more neurons and exhibited greater ability to learn and seemed "smarter". Even just running in a wheel did the same thing. The conclusion being that being more active leads to better brain develpment than sitting around and being bored, as they put it.

A couple of people have been looking for scientific studies (for what they're worth, but someone did ask) that might help support the Sudbury model. You might want to check out www.pbs.org and go to the scientific american frontiers link to get more info. on this.

Good luck,
Ann