DSM: Is not the goal of Sudbury FREEDOM?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 15:01:49 EST

Hi Travis,

I will answer two of your points, which I think deal with the crux
of the difference between us.

You wrote:

> Ardeshir,
>
> You are misinterpreting the role of any school. Ardeshir, something
> that is crucial to understand is that any school, Sudbury or other, has the
> same goal. Namely, to prepare students to be productive, responsible members
> of the community at large.

And you added:

> In a message dated 1/28/2002 2:39:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> ardeshir@sympatico.ca writes:
>
> << I agree that in an EDUCATION context it is wrong.
>
>But let us remember that Sudbury is NOT education! It is, as (I
>think) Scott wrote once, "Life lived, period."
>
>In life lived, period, it is definitely NOT wrong to offer help.
>Indeed it is wrong NOT to do so, because it goes against the best in
>human nature! >>
>
> Ardeshir,
>
> I simply cannot see it. What do you mean "Sudbury is NOT education?" That
> is absolutely ludicrous!
>
> It may be a specific and unique type of education, but it is still a
> "type" of education. The school is "educating" its students, albeit education
> draped in the teachings of responsibility, is it not?

Both your above statements show that you and I are absolutely
OPPOSED in ideology. In my view, the goal of SVS is NOT sup-
posed to be "to prepare students to be productive, responsible mem-
bers of the community at large." The goal of Sudbury is not attained
at the END of one's stay there, but IS ATTAINED THE MOMENT
ONE SETS FOOT INTO IT: that goal being, as I reiterated in a
couple of other e-mail messages to the list, F R E E D O M.

Once a person has GENUINE freedom, that means that the person
has the choice of doing WHATEVER he or she wants with his or
her life: even THROWING IT AWAY, if he or she pleases!

What you are talking about, instead, is Liberal Education at its most
honest. But even liberal education at its most honest is not SVS. It
has an ulterior MOTIVE: that motive being, to "prepare" the child
for something. That is the goal of the institution, and the institution
succeeds or fails by how well or how ill it prepares the child for
that "something" (whatever it might be: democracy, responsibility,
life, whatever.)

SVS has NO motive, no goal, no aim. Or, if one MUST impose an
aim on it, its aim is the same as the MEANS to get to it: viz., Free-
dom.

SVS therefore stands or falls entirely by whether freedom exists in
it, or doesn't: and NOT by whether it prepares anyone for anything.

Best,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>.