Re: DSM: Re: Is Sudbury not "Life lived, period"?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 19:03:45 EST

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your e-mail.

The answer you gave, however, does not touch the HEART of the
matter. The heart is FREEDOM. If one is to offer children free-
dom, then should not that freedom be the SAME as one offers to
ADULTS? Indeed, as I said in an earlier e-mail, should it not be
the same to which one oneself lays claim?

Remember, too, that the freedom ITSELF is offered (or presumed
to be offered) WELL before the child asks for it. Indeed it should
be offered, ideally, right from birth!

As I asked in my e-mail subject line: "Is Sudbury not 'Life lived,
period'?" If it isn't -- if it is an alternative form of EDUCATION --
then I agree with you (and Travis), and adults should stay the hell
out of the kids' way.

But if Sudbury is NOT education, but rather, as Scott eloquently
put it (and convinced me in the process), if Sudbury is "Life lived,
period", then it should surely contain ALL that life has to offer --
INCLUDING unsolicited help.

Otherwise, where's the life, where's the living, where's the freedom?
As I wrote in reply to Joe, such "freedom" is merely a sham -- and
there's just no other word for it. To TAKE AWAY freedom in the
very NAME of freedom, in fact, renders it the MORE despicable.

Best,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>.