Re: DSM: Is Sudbury not "Life lived, period"?

From: Martin Wilke (martin.wilke@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 17:27:09 EST

Hi Mike,

I HAVE read the complete article a few weeks ago. And when I now re-read
it, my feeling of dissent was a present as at that time.
Of course I did understand that the intended message of the article is:
Sudbury Valley IS a school; it is a school for today.
Nevertheless I do not agree with the argumentation, that is, to make
kids to fit into the society, trying to PRODUCE certain kinds of people.
("to prepare them to perpetuate the culture and to function as citizens
in the community"; "Usually educators start by saying, 'What is it that
we want to achieve on the social side?' That's where we start as well,
by asking, 'What kind of people are needed in this era in history to
make this country function?'"; "How much modification do we have to
produce in that child?")

Martin Wilke