DSM: Re: Is Sudbury not "Life lived, period"?

From: The Booroobin Sudbury School (admin@booroobinschool.com.au)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 16:37:43 EST

Hi Ardeshir,
I have been reading the e-mails with interest. I write from a country which
has for many years offered "help" well before anyone asks for it. The
"help" over generations has led to a reliance on government by many people.
It frequently leads to government interference in the lives of people. At
School, we check ourselves before offering "help" before it was actually
asked for. Sure at times it still happens, but far less than some did in
the early days. We have found that kids learn far more about themselves by
leaving them to it. We do give support and assistance, but more so in a
quiet way. Naturally, if there was physical risk involved, Staff may step
in depending on the apparent risk. It is the risk taking, sometimes the
boredom, sometimes Students up against a personal hurdle that makes them
stronger for the effort they must take to go further, or not. Resilience
and personal growth happens because of these things. Unsolicited help can
induce thinking that the direction or advice is THE way to deal with the
issue. But it is too personal, too individual for anyone else to know that.
Traditional education systems have kids disempowered and believing that the
only answers to all things come from adult teachers or textbooks. We should
all know that is not the case. Unsolicited "help" can be seen to be
perpetuating the same frauds. People living through their own stuff live
life, and learn to difg deeper within themselves to live life more fully, by
doing as much as they can for themselves, and asking for assistance when
they need it, knowing full well that in a supportive learning environment
they will get the assistance they need - not what someone else perceives
their need to be.
Regards, Derek Sheppard
The Booroobin Sudbury School
www.booroobinschool.com.au