Re: DSM: Is Sudbury not "Life lived, period"?

From: Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 15:22:04 EST

Perhaps the following paragraph -- extracted from
"Is Sudbury Valley a School?" from Reflections on the Sudbury School
Concept By Daniel Greenberg and available as the full article at
http://www.sudval.org/texts/reflect.html#isaschool --
can illuminate the sudbury perspective that staff are expected to
refrain from anticipating the needs of enrolled individuals and
offering unsolicited assistance and/or advice. If my comment needs
further clarification, I mean it to be applicable during normal times
and inapplicable under such extreme situations as injury, when
immediate assistance is appropriate.

> The raw material is perfect. Our major task as adults is to get out of the way, to provide an environment where we don't interfere, where we minimize to every extent possible the barriers that prevent children from doing what they want to do naturally. To the extent that we succeed, they'll be alert, they'll explore, they'll be active, they'll be healthy. They'll be solving problems all day, problems that they set for themselves and attack with a passion. Leave children alone and what's the first thing you notice? Their intensity. Their involvement. Their focus.

Mike