DSM: Is Sudbury not "Life lived, period"?

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:37:45 EST

Hi Travis,

You wrote:

> Ardeshir,
>
> I can only speak for myself, but, the issue seems to have gone further
> back in time. It is really quite clear.
>
> It is my belief (and apparently others as well) that, in the specific
> context of education (which, let us be serious, is entirely different then
> other contexts, as opposed to your observations) it is wrong to "offer," or
> whatever you want to call it, help to a student. Period.

I agree that in an EDUCATION context it is wrong.

But let us remember that Sudbury is NOT education! It is, as (I
think) Scott wrote once, "Life lived, period."

In life lived, period, it is definitely NOT wrong to offer help.
Indeed it is wrong NOT to do so, because it goes against the best in
human nature!

> I feel myself and
> others have been quite clear on this issue. Why the constant need for
> reiteration and misinterpretation?

Because it is crucial. Is the Sudbury philosophy in keeping with
the best in human nature, or is it not? It is inherent in the best of
human natures to offer help. If the Sudbury philosophy is against
this, then it is against the best in human nature! And I for one
would vehemently oppose such an approach.

Best,

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>.