DSM: RE: RE: Re: RE: Parents and Philosophy

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 18:12:47 EST

Hey Liz. Got the old battle axe sharpened up today, I see.

> All I mean to say by this is that schools can fulfill many
> different functions, but not all functions.

If you mean that a school cannot simultaneously be an orange grove and a
liquor store, then I suppose I agree with you. But I don't see that
esoteric fact as support for the idea that we should rob children of
their rights.

> I know so many
> parents who are so committed to the philosophy of whatever
> school they have chosen and they think it is the best school
> on earth. They cite all of the same things that one reads
> about on this list, happy self-motivated children, great
> staff, creative environment, etc. etc.

Actually, what you just listed seems to me to be entirely unlike what
has been cited on this list as reasons families go to the schools. I
can see why you wish that's what people have said, because it would
presumably fit into your all-together too-obvious prejudices about

> I am also not sure if the children are
> the best arbiters of whether they should or shouldn't stay at
> a school.

There it is. Later, Liz.

-Joe Jackson