DSM: Re: What initially attracted you to Sudbury?

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 21:58:22 EST

I actually only gave you part of the story. There's really quite a history
to our path to SVS; which is probably the case for many. I'll just hit on a
few points briefly.
Like you, it all started way back when I was a kid in school . I was a good
girl, "A" student all the way; but questioned it all and resented and
disliked it more every year. I put up with it so I could go to college and
do what I wanted. My freshman year was spent in a program called
"FEED"-freshman experience in educational discovery. All independent study
, small discussion groups, and off-campus experiences. Later on, and for
many years, I worked with a woman developing a program called Learning to
Learn. Here's the interesting part of my story. We worked with college
students (Scott Gray's dad, Peter, helped get us into BC....small
world,huh?) who had forgotten how to learn (because of public schooling, of
course). Within the academic context, they had lost their questioning mind
and how to organize and make meaning out of what they were trying to learn.
We used a methodology to re-train them and it worked in the sense that they
were then able to learn in the conventional college model. Although I was
helping these kids, I was still struggling and frustrated with the
limitations I could see in that educational model. I went on to Lesley
College and through their ind. study graduate program, designed my own
Masters degree in Neuro-linguistic programming and hypnosis. Totally
unconventional- my thesis was designing and presenting a workshop!
Later still, my son had major problems with school that he and we could no
longer tolerate. The final chapter that got us to investigate SVS.

So much for brief. I'M SORRY! Thought it would be interesting, though.
See, I was quite "prepped" even before my son had the problems. SVS showed
up as what I had been searching for most of my life.

Ann