Re: DSM: students rights

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 13:05:52 EST

Hi Travis and Bruce,

I don't get your point. Are you saying that all un-requested offerings
of help are bad? Why, in heaven's name?

I have often in my life been offered unrequested help, and have always
been grateful for it. Examples are: a ride on a long road, a hand to lift a
heavy object, even advice on how to cut a banana without getting one's
hands dirty. And as a major example, an offer to pay for my university
education in Israel, where I had never thought of studying, and which I
was offered also -- and which also I accepted with thanks, and for which
experience I am to this day immensely grateful.

And many, many times in my life have I offered someone unrequested
help, like for example pushing their car when it wouldn't start: and I
don't recollect anyone ever being offended at my offering, or taken it
as "coercion" in any way. (And I have offered bigger and more impor-
tant sorts of help than that, when I thought the occasion called for such.)

If unrequested offerings of help are "Un-Sudbury" in any way, why then
it would appear that Sudbury -- under that interpretation -- is "un-human"
in some way: for I certainly do consider myself human! :-) (This is a joke!
THIS IS A J O K E ! ! !) <--(Just wanted to make sure I wasn't mis-
understood.)

And if you imply that it's okay in an adult-adult situation but not in a
staff-student situation, then you are artificially distinguishing between
staff and students, who are all persons. Should not all persons be treated
the same?

(I made my views clear, in an earlier e-mail, on the subject of subtle
offerings of help which are nothing more than thinly disguised mani-
pulation, so I won't repeat myself there. As I had written, this is dis-
honesty, and applies to the adult world also, like for example a law-
yer who takes advantage of his or her client's ignorance of the law
to give advice which is in the lawyer's best interest, not the client's.
As I had written, I am NOT discussing such things here.)

Best.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>