RE: DSM: students rights

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 21:57:54 EST

Ardeshir,

> I was wondering what you meant by "tutoring". Does it mean
> that the child wants to learn something the teachers in the
> school cannot teach?

Well, what I am talking about is pushed by parents. My sense is that
the particular kids I'm thinking of are sort of passively willing, much
as kids at public schools are after a few years of having adults pound
on them.

These kids have kind of been in and out of the school, and have not
really had time to stop and decompress from the external-motivation
mill. I don't think they have gotten all that the school has to offer,
and I think much of that is because of the parents that can't let go of
homeschooling them when they're not in school. The parents are very
nice people, just pretty controlling and really don't fundamentally
trust the model.

> On the
> other hand, why would parents send their kids to a school
> where something is NOT taught?

Precisely. :)

Namaste.

Joe Jackson