Re: DSM: students rights

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 11:36:04 EST


Travis,

I can see that the core beliefs are essential, few in number, and clear.
That, however, does not make them simple to adhere to in a 100% way. Ex.:
According to the SVS rules, Jesse will be allowed to go off campus when he
turns 8. He will have that "right" and that choice. For me, this is not
simple. (As a matter of fact, it is how simple Jesse may see it that
concerns me!)

Ann
----- Original Message -----
From: <BBWIA13@aol.com>
To: <discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: DSM: students rights

> Ann,
>
> Generally, I agreed with your e-mail. I found that it raised some
> extremely productive and important points.
> It isn't that I disagree with you, but I would like to point out one
> specific thing. Yes, I realize that it is hard to support anything 100%
and
> to expect "nothing less." But do you know, it is an extremely dangerous
road
> to walk on when addressing that concept.
> Specifically because I could understand people making the reasonable
> argument: "Well, we can't go 100%, but we can get close, so we can't
expect
> absolutely NO coercion, and we can't expect absolutely NO political
> affiliation, etc. This could easily occur.
> I am sure that it is not what you intended, but it is a concept one
must
> readily keep in mind. In my opinion, weather one is a Staff member at
Sudbury
> Valley or a founder of a new Sudbury School, these concepts are of vital
> importance. Actually, I believe that it isn't that difficult if one is
> committed to following the core beliefs of Sudbury Valley 100%. Indeed, I
> would call it essential. And the reason that it is not difficult (there
are
> some difficulties, yes) is because they are few in number, and so clear,
and
> so simple.
>
> -Travis W.
>
> ===========
>
> If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO
> majordomo@sudval.org (do NOT reply to the mailing list) with the following
> phrase in the BODY (not the subject) of the message, replacing
> "email@host.dom" with the email address that you subscribed under:
>
> unsubscribe discuss-sudbury-model email@host.dom
>
> If you are interested in the subject, but the volume of mail sent is too
much,
> you may wish to consider unsubscribing from this list and subscribing to
> "dsm-digest"
>
> This mailing list is archived at http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/archives

===========

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO
majordomo@sudval.org (do NOT reply to the mailing list) with the following
phrase in the BODY (not the subject) of the message, replacing
"email@host.dom" with the email address that you subscribed under:

unsubscribe discuss-sudbury-model email@host.dom

If you are interested in the subject, but the volume of mail sent is too much,
you may wish to consider unsubscribing from this list and subscribing to
"dsm-digest"

This mailing list is archived at http://www.sudval.org/~sdg/archives



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0.0 : Wed Mar 27 2002 - 19:39:49 EST