Re: DSM: students rights

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 08:57:44 EST

Hi all, Joe,

I was not talking about following the Sudbury philosophy at home. That is a
topic of its own, much differerent and more complicated. We have been there
on this thread. I was referring to how "purely", or not, parents abide by
the philosphy as regards the school. It's not only about intervening if
there are perceived academic shortrcomings. Parents can "interfere" in many
subtle ways with their chidlren's freedom at school. For example, I
believe very strongly in the model and my kids' rights to choose what they
want to do during their day. Can't say I believe a full 100% though. Last
year Jesse stayed indoors all day, every day ; forgetting to eat and even to
drink anything. He would come home very crabby, pale, and his body was
getting flabby,etc. I could not help myself from talking about what he
needs to do to take care of his body and began each day by reminding
him-like, "It's a great day outside today. Get outside for some time
today!" In spite of me, he is doing GREAT and is totally happy. ( Funny
though, my input never seemed to make a difference last year. He did what he
wanted anyway. This year he is outside all the time and asking me to pack
more food!) I'm also not sure I want him going off campus when he turns 8.
He is 7 1/2 now and I really don't think he is ready for that.

I was simply questioning the black and white/ 100% or nothing mood (not
really the right word, but I'm rushing and can't think of another) of the
conversation.
Cheers!
Ann