RE: DSM: students rights

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 22:34:02 EST

> If the 12-year-old WANTS to
> read but can't, surely something needs to be done.

I think it's a little more complex than that. What is important is that
the student WANTS to learn to read badly enough that they will take
responsibility for learning to read.

Because the whole point is that the school offers an environment in
which students learn HOW to learn, and the way they learn that lesson
must be a way which is not reliant on adults or others taking
responsibility for them to do it.

So simply "wanting" to learn to read is not enough. Some days I think I
would like to learn to be a professional accountant. However, I
"cannot" do that, not because I am not capable of it, but because I
don't want it enough to throw away a music career and go back to school
and get trained and credentialed.

Nobody would think that someone should "do something" just because I
"can't" learn to be a pro accountant, because it would be silly - I'm an
adult and if I wanted it badly enough I would do it.

Kids are just the same.

-Joe