Re: DSM: teenagedom (was: greetings)

From: Shelli Buhr (shellibuhr@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 19:53:43 EST

> When you said (see above) in your e-mail, I wasn't entirely sure
what
> you meant. For example, when you discovered these new styles of teaching,
> was the situation still the same?

To a lesser degree, the learning situation was the same because Desiree
hates school. Now, she is so discouraged that school has no meaning for her.

> Here is what I am driving at: in the first situation, we have your
kids
> receiving homework and not enjoying it one bit. Neither do you.

I didnt enjoy watching Desiree struggle, having a hard time staying focused.

>>> presumably the only thing > that changes this scenario is that you
implement new styles for helping your > kids with their homework.

>>Presumably, they still hate it, and you still > imagine that you wouldn't
want to do it, but now that you conduct it in a > different style, the
situation is for the better?

She does. No presuming necessary.

yes, ten years ago, I had no idea of what parenting means, other than to me,
it was supposed to be about perfection. I felt it was my role to make her
learn so I tried to embrace ideas that were conducive to her learning.
Desiree understood money, so she picked up math easier as I explained math
in terms of dollars and cents. It made it much easier for her to understand
multiplication, percentages and fractions.

>>Perhaps this is not the > case. Please clarify.
>
> -Travis W

I am not sure that I am clear on the question you are wanting clarification
on other than what I have stated above. For all of these reasons and more,
this is why I would like to build a SV school. Maybe some part of mommy
hopes that she could still get something from this and it is not too late.

I consider you to be fortunate that you had the opportunity to learn thru
SVS's. It has given me a dream to work towards and my dream now is based on
bringing this opportunity to a lot more children. I see this as hope. My
choice is to choose hope. Travis I am really glad I have been able to chat
with you. It has been enlightening on many different levels for me.

Blessings,
Shelli