Re: DSM: students rights

From: Karen Locke (villagespecialed@charter.net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 15:20:10 EST

>Angela wrote:

> I'm very interested in looking at the roots of this oppression and how
>an evolving democratic structure will help and/or hinder the efforts of
>education
>reform.

I think part of the root of oppression is the viewpoint that people in
their natural form are evil. Therefore the job of the school is to train
this evil tendency out of us. My assumption is that children are naturally
good, wise creatures, who will learn what they need to know if they are
allowed the freedom to do it and aren't guilted all over the place. We do
have rules and penalties because we are an organized society, and we need
to come to some common agreement about what behaviors are acceptable
in our group. But we don't need to micromanage because learning is innate.

I'm not sure what you mean by an evolving democratic structure. If you
mean each school in its evolution, I would think that as these schools work
out ways to make and enforce their own rules, we can point to these
successes as evidence that children aren't the wild, mean beings that lots
of adults would expect them to be in a free atmosphere.

Karen