Re: DSM: RE: Greetings...

From: Karen Locke (villagespecialed@charter.net)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 11:30:02 EST

>Laura,

I've worked in 3 democratic schools, 2 very small. In one, the weekly all
school meeting heard complaints, and it seemed to work pretty well. In
another, we had a JC of one child from each age group on a rotating basis,
that heard complaints every few days. The one I work in now has 67
students, and we need to meet daily because of volume of complaints. We
have 3 voluntary groups of students who each meet on different days. I
think the only requirement is that there are rules or guidelines spelled
out, and that there is some group that hears complaints and can decide what
to do about it. If either of those things is missing there are problems.

Paperwork wise, it has seemed helpful to write out some sentences about how
free the school really is, and include some statement about an adjustment
period, and have parents and students sign the statement. Then they can't
(as easily) come back and say they didn't understand what they were getting
into.

Karen