Re: DSM: The actions of groups and the responsibility of its members

From: Michelle Patzke (jjmp@voyager.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 10:18:25 EST

I agree with Joe's comments that

>Pirsig maintains that a large
>group of people functions like a giant creature, with thoughts,
>attitudes, needs and actions that are an amalgam of it's members. While
>the actions of a group are a result of the desires of its members, the
>actions are never intended by any single person within the group. And
>while therefore no single person in the group is responsible for the
>actions of the "creature", each person in the group provides fuel for
>the "creature" to act.

I have always used the term "gestalt" which is a term I learned in my youth
from the book "In & Out of the Garbage Pail" by Dr. Fritz Perls. It's the
notion that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Thanks for the referral to the book Joe. I'll check it out.

Michelle
Chicago Sudbury School