DSM: RE: teenagedom (was: greetings)

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 08:44:49 EST

Morticia,

> but although we may self-righteously pass judgement upon
> others, this attitude comes ultimately from a basis of
> insecurity in ourselves.

Interesting theory. But let's keep in mind the larger reality of the
situation - that the institution of conventional education in our
country deliberately expends an extraordinary amount of energy making
the existence of schools like Sudbury Valley and Fairhaven very
difficult. We cannot pretend that our students are not intensely
cognizant of this reality on a day-to-day basis.

So I think anger towards objects and people (who are, despite any lack
of intention of individuals to oppress educational freedom, nevertheless
members and representatives of the culture who does so) is as reasonable
as anger, as an irrational emotion, can be, and certainly expected.

Let's also not forget that within teens beats a heart of passion for
justice and equality for the little guy. Whether it's the little
Sudbury school movement, or whales, or social discrimination, teens are
natural conservationists and revolutionaries with a nose for oppression.

I would not want to deny today's teenagers the opportunity to wear
revolution on their sleeves the way you and I did. Or are the kids of
today not allowed the same learning process we enjoyed?

Or should I say "are enjoying?": Whether it's kids judging buses and
public school students, grown-up Mohawkless Morticia judging resentful
teens, or Big Bad Joe judging Morticia's theories about fight or flight,
I think there's enough self-righteous judgmentalism to go around for all
of us right here and now! :)

-Joe