DSM: give the finger to the school bus

From: Freekids@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 12:18:20 EST

Hey Morticia,

While working at Fairhaven, I had the opportunity to commute to work with two
teens. They always wanted to shout "fascist!" or give the finger to the
school buses we passed. ( Fortunately, our car was not run democratically.
As the dictator / driver, I felt a policy against antagonizing others was
helpful to my sanity and everyone's safety.) My sense, from talking to them,
was that the buses themselves and, to some extent, the drivers were the
object of their anger / derision. It was easy to see that they saw the buses
as symbols of their own former oppression. While they sometimes expressed
frustration that so many of their peers were not in a position to question or
resist that oppression - they sometimes referred to the school-bus passengers
as "sheep," they did not really express any hostility toward the students,
themselves.

-not a student,

Robert Murphy

Cedarwood Sudbury School