RE: DSM: Re: Greetings...

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 13:23:45 EST

Travis,

Joe Jackson, a parent from Fairhaven School in Maryland.

I found it interesting that you state that "those who operate with the
impression that the students at Sudbury schools are so different from
others... are simply fooling themselves".

I work in lots of public schools each year, performing musical clinics,
and I have visited a half-dozen or so Sudbury schools. As a result, I
have formed a firm opinion that students at the public and conventional
private schools at which I have worked are *entirely* different from
students in Sudbury schools. (I _do_ think that teenagers today in all
situations are vastly underrated by adults, however.)

I find these differences manifest themselves in a variety of ways. I
find that when conventionally-schooled student are attending even a
non-mandatory class or clinic, they have a much harder time focusing
than Sudbury kids. I also find that conventionally-schooled kids often
know only how to relate to kids their age. They often have a special
way of relating to adults where they put on this mask and basically
speak a different language. I find that teens from other environments
often have a need to destroy public property or hurt people; "raise
hell" to a larger extent than the teens I've encountered from Sudbury
schools, who similarly like to have a good time, but not by messing
things and people up.

My experiences with young Sudbury students leaves me with the general
impression of people that speak with forthrightness and candor. I am
always amazed to hear them speak from the heart with no regard for the
age difference between them and I. I rarely experience this with
children from other environments.

While these are my observations, they are just that. My children attend
Fairhaven because they want to go there, they are obviously so happy
there, and because I see them learning what matters to them so much more
rapidly than I learned what mattered to me, and doing it without having
to endure the agonizing dog & pony show of trying to memorize what
matters to someone else (which is what their friends in public school
are going through right now).

In other words, my goal in supporting their decision to attend is not
necessarily driven by wanting them to be as obviously self-possessed,
creative and persistent as essentially every graduate of a Sudbury
school I've ever met is, but because I support and respect their
decisions and trust that they have what they need to get to where they
want in life if I can just stay right behind them, but never in the way.

But given that, I sure do notice, in general, a huge difference in my
experiences with Sudbury students and conventionally-schooled kids.

- Joe