Re: DSM: Re: Greetings...

From: BBWIA13@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 12:21:30 EST

Ann,

       Thank you for your reply. To my knowledge, there is no prevalent
movement among students here that pertain to parents. That is, if it does
exist, it most certainly is not obvious to me.
       To further pursue this issue beyond your question, I believe that
there are important concepts to keep in mind when addressing the
parent/student relationship in general. I believe that students at this
school, in terms of common characteristics all teenagers (or younger
children) embody, are not unlike students in any other school. This must be
taken in context. It is in the context of, as I mentioned, common
characteristics, because it is obvious that all schools at times attract
unique individuals. Those who operate with the impression that the students
here are so different from others of their likeness, are simply fooling
themselves. Indeed, I assume that all kids feel the same emotions at
different times, and act in similar fashion every so often. It seems likely
that they would all feel rage, love, contempt, envy, admiration, and many
other feelings and emotions. I have personally experienced some of these
emotions, and it seems likely that they are extremely prevalent among all
children, with little exception.
        I do understand that I am not a parent, and as a result I cannot
begin to comprehend what it is like to have a child attend Sudbury Valley. It
most certainly requires a tremendous leap of faith for all parents, something
I sense too often goes unappreciated. I would imagine that there are parents
who must feel similar. However, it seems to me that this "leap of faith" must
be self-sustaining. Though it may be hard at times (I wouldn't know!), it
seems to me that the role of parents, in the context of the school itself,
does not include attempting to effect their child's experience or education
within the confines of the Sudbury Valley. This is a concept that is
extremely evident when one understands the baseline philosophies that Sudbury
Valley operates upon.
       Again, I am not a parent. I would like to think that I take pains to
be careful on the subject. To make sure not to say things that can only be
said with validity coming from a parent, from their own perspective. I hope I
have satisfied your request for information.

-Travis W.