DSM: Re: Complete list of schools?

From: Shelli Buhr (shellibuhr@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 13:11:46 EST

Perfect timing Alex. I am also in California and just joined.

I want to build a Sudbury School. I am in the Orange County area. I would like to know if there is anyone local who is wanting to put together a school here.

I have always felt that I wanted to create a school that was different, so in the last year, I have been focusing on putting some of the nuts and bolts together on building this foundation. My daughter has been the model as she is called ADD/bi polar. I have seen the value in creating a system that allows chldren to choose, let them focus on their creativity, I felt that children should be on their own individual education plan. I had never found exactly what I was looking for until I read the book Free at Last by Daniel Greenberg.

At first I was hesistant, thinking how can you lay that much in a child's hands. But then I began to remember how my child naturally learned before she went to school. But by the time I was halfway through reading about the Sudbury model, I knew I had found what I was looking for.

I do have some questions but more around setting up the intital committee and budget. I would love to go see a school first hand and this may be my next step.

Many Blessings,

Shelli Buhr
One Light Foundation
(714) 301-5913
www.home.earthlink.net/~shellibuhr

  I am new to the list and searching every corner of the Internet for an up-to-date list of Sudbury Schools, particularly in California - I have visited all the school sites that are mentioned on the www.sudval.org site but was wondering if anymore have sprung up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  Many thanks,
  Alex