Re: DSM: Re: Re: Re: Television

From: Ann Ide (ann.ide@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 14:28:06 EST

Sorry Scott! Seems to me that we all assume the risk of being
misinterpreted regardless of our writing abilities. That's the nature of
language and the compounded risk involved when e-mailing/writing versus
talking to one another in person. I pretty much expect it. Anyway, I'm
probably misintrepreting you here, as well; but surely you must be used to
this phenomena.

That said, now I'm confused. Mike wrote;"I always felt and continue to
feel that the role of parents and adults in contact with children is to help
them understand that...." Is it this part of the sentence we are
misinterpreting.. that it is the role of adults to do something? Or what
follows that part fo the sentence, that you felt Warren misunderstood? (
sorry- fragment).

Also, your comments imply for me that reading is about understanding what
the writer is trying to say. I don't think that's always it. Reading is
what it invokes for the reader; what questions and conversations it brings
forth. That's what I see happening in our threads.

Ann