Re: DSM: Re: Re: Re: Television

From: Warren McMillan (warren@bmts.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 23:03:51 EST

Here is what Mike wrote:
I always felt and continue to feel that the role of parents and adults
in contact with children is to help them understand that much of what
we experience has been shaped to meet some set of goals. If kids
understand this and seek to create a perspective for interpretation
that recognizes the biases and objectives that others hold, then we've
accomplished a great deal.

In the context of the discussion on television, I interpreted this to mean
that it was the role of adults and parents to help children understand that
television, as well as other media, is 'shaped' to meet its goals. I may
have read more into this statement than was intended and I did not mean to
use Mike's words inappropriately or to distort their meaning in any way. My
argument, however, does not rely on Mike's reference. You would have to
read further back through the thread to see why I referenced his words in
the first place but it was only by way of example and not central to my
thoughts.
As for your concern that I might misinterpret your words, please rest
assured that I will resist the temptation to reference anything you may have
to say.

Warren