Re: DSM: Re: Re: Re: Television

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 22:22:09 EST

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Warren McMillan wrote:

> My response referred to Mike's suggestion that it was the role of adults and
> parents to help children understand how TV works and how it can influence or
> condition them without their conscious awareness and that, to quote Mike,
> "If kids understand this and seek to create a perspective for interpretation
> that recognizes the biases and objectives that others hold, then we've
> accomplished a great deal."

When did Mike suggest that it is "the role of adults and
parents to help children understand how TV works and how it
can influence or condition them without their conscious
awareness?" I can't see a single place in any of Mike's
posts in which he suggested this (if I am mistaken, Mike,
please correct me).

If people are interpreting Mike's very plain and clearly
worded messages as advocating a role for adults in
"preparing" children to be able to watch TV, I think that
you have read him wrong! And I am terribly worried that my
own words have probably been misinterpreted!

I thought that I had made plain my own position on
television, but now I wonder. Sadly I don't think that I am
a good enough writer to make myself clearer, and I can't
imagine any way that Mike could have made his position in
this discussion clearer. There's not much else to say, but
to ask that you carefully re-read Mike's words and my words;
not that I think they will convince you, but I do wish that
I could make my position understood.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org