Re: DSM: Re: Diploma

From: Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 21:53:46 EST

Excellent point, Ann.
An essential element of the model is individual responsibility.
School is structured to enable individuals to take responsibility for
their activities and to reap the resultant fruit, sweet or bitter as
the case may be.
The diploma process isn't any different.

The diploma exists only because students have asked for it. The
school community recognizes the dichotomy between the diploma process
with its evaluative elements on the one hand and the sense of
individual responsibility on the other. Periodically we debate the
diploma process and whether we should have a diploma at all.
Invariably we continue to honor the request of the students themselves
that we provide a mechanism so that those who want and qualify can be
granted this recognition by the school.

Mike