Re: DSM: Homeschooling and the sense of community

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 14:56:55 EST

Hi there,

Liz wrote:

> ...Lately I have realized that things
> have changed from when I was a child, we wanted to go to school because
> that's where our friends were, but now there are so many kids in the
> neighborhood that are at home that why would anyone bother with a
> school? Why would any of us put all that time and effort into putting
> together a free school when we can just do it at the park and at each
> others houses? And you don't have to answer to anyone, we are each
> fully responsible for what we are doing.
>
> I'll tell you what, I much prefer living this way than when I was a
> chaufeur driving back and forth to my kids school.
>
> Liz

Makes a lot of sense.

Just some thoughts:

A school has the advantage that there are a large number of
children and adults in one place, all of whom have the potential
to enrich a studen'ts life. But home also has the advantage that
it's a more-or-less natural environment, not one artificially cre-
ated for the purpose of bringing togehter a large number of
adults and students, any or all of whom may potentially enrich
a student's life!

A small neighbourhood where all people know each other and
get along fine with each other is probably the best, but it is not
the norm. In many cities the home is rather isolated from the
neighbourhood. In that situation school is perhaps a better envi-
ronment. Isolation can be quite damaging to a growing child.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/AllMyFiles.html>